Houston Estate Planning Attorneys
Estate Planning to Carry Out Your Goals
Do you have an estate plan? You may be surprised to know that the truth is, everyone has an estate plan. Whether they realize it or not, the estate of every person will follow a plan after death.
For estates large and small, for those who have drafted a plan themselves or not, decisions will be made about what is left behind. Many people make those decisions themselves and leave a will or trust for loved ones to follow. For others who do not create a personal, memorialized plan, the laws of New York will make those decisions for you. Therefore, the real question becomes—does your estate plan accomplish your individual goals?
Whether your estate plan consists of a simple will or a complex combination of estate documents, it deals with the most important issues in your life—your health and your family. Our Houston estate planning attorneys carefully attend to the unique needs presented by each client’s life, family, and finances, and we devise a plan that is tailored to meet your wishes. Don’t let the fate of your estate be decided by default, contact us today to learn more about how you can protect your family’s future.
Estate Planning Goals
Many people don’t think they need an estate plan, or they assume that their assets are not great enough to warrant a plan. Often, they simply trust their family members to do what is best when the time comes. Even a basic estate plan, however, can accomplish important goals, including:
- Respecting your final wishes. Regardless of the size your estate, you’ve worked hard for what you will leave behind. You have the right to decide what happens to your real estate, money, and other assets.
- Clarity. An effective estate plan reduces questions about: who is to be in charge of your estate during incapacity and after death; who should receive particular assets; and who is authorized to make health care decisions on your behalf.
- Preserving valuable time and resources. Estates left without direction fall to the direction of the courts. Often, estates are tied up in legal red tape as an executor is named and then as the executor takes action. This process is often lengthy and costly. Certain estate planning techniques can reduce or eliminate excessive cost and delays.
- Maintaining family relationships. When the time comes to for your family to make decisions about your health care, finances, and distribution of assets, emotions will run high. It can be difficult to make these decisions, and it is not uncommon for family members to struggle to decide what is best. With specific instruction from you, your family can avoid confusion and uncertainty.
Even if you aren’t sure if you need an estate plan or how to even begin to think about the future, don’t hesitate to reach out to us to get started. Our experienced lawyers can help you examine your unique circumstances and needs, and together we can craft a plan that will protect you and your loved ones.
Estate Planning Services
Estate planning is not just for the wealthy. Just about everyone with assets or children can benefit from estate planning.
Estate planning can include determining what happens to your property, who is to care for your minor children, and what happens to you, your property, and your minor children if you become incapacitated.
Here are a few of the estate planning services we provide:
- wills and related documents,
- medical plans,
- charitable giving,
- gift tax planning, and
- post- and pre-nuptial agreements.
If you are in Houston and have estate planning questions, we want to hear from you. We are Houston estate planning attorneys. We help clients navigate the estate planning process. Call today for a confidential consultation, .